By Cynthia Lucia,Roy Grundmann,Art Simon
- Considers crucial matters that experience formed the yankee movie industry—from the impression of tv and CGI to the increase of self sufficient and underground movie; from the impression of the civil rights, feminist and LGBT pursuits to that of 9/11.
- Features a student-friendly constitution dividing assurance into the classes 1960-1975, 1976-1990, and 1991 to the current day, every one of which opens with an ancient overview
- Brings jointly a wealthy and sundry collection of contributions via tested movie students, combining large historic, social, and political contexts with exact research of person motion pictures, including Midnight Cowboy, Nashville, Cat Ballou, Chicago, Back to the Future, Killer of Sheep, Daughters of the dirt, not anything yet a Man, Ali, Easy Rider, The dialog, The Texas Chain observed Massacre, Longtime Companion, The Matrix, The warfare Tapes, the Batman films, and chosen avant-garde and documentary movies, between many others.
- Additional on-line assets, akin to pattern syllabi, which come with steered readings and filmographies, for either common and really good classes, might be to be had online.
- May be used alongside American movie heritage: chosen Readings, Origins to 1960 to supply an authoritative examine of yank cinema from its earliest days during the new millennium
Read or Download American Film History: Selected Readings, 1960 to the Present PDF
Similar film & video art books
Demanding our bodies is approximately Ronald Reagan, Robert Bly, "America," Rambo, soiled Harry, nationwide identification, and person manhood. by means of linking blockbuster Hollywood movies of the Eighties to Ronald Reagan and his picture, Susan Jeffords explores the hyperlinks among masculinity and U. S. identification and the way their photos replaced in the course of that decade.
Even supposing movie noir is typically linked to the suggest streets of the darkish urban, this quantity explores the style from a brand new attitude, concentrating on non-urban settings. via designated readings of greater than a hundred motion pictures set in suburbs, small cities, at the street, within the barren region, borderlands and the immense, empty West, the writer investigates the alienation expressed via movie noir, pinpointing its motivation within the clash among wants for get away, autonomy and freedom—and fears of loneliness, exile and dissolution.
James Cameron’s significantly acclaimed motion picture Avatar used to be nominated for 9 Academy Awards and bought numerous accolades for its breath-taking visuals and use of 3D know-how. yet past its cinematic splendour, can Avatar additionally provide us insights into enterprise ethics, empathy, incapacity, and the connection among brain and physique?
Moms, Comrades, and Outcasts in East German Women's movie merges feminist movie concept and cultural background in an research of "women’s motion pictures" that span the final 20 years of the previous East Germany. Jennifer L. Creech explores the ways that those motion pictures functioned as a substitute public sphere the place authentic ideologies of socialist development and utopian collectivism can be resisted.
- The Making of The Wizard of Oz
- Yankee Dragon
- The Subject of Film and Race: Retheorizing Politics, Ideology, and Cinema
- The Martial Arts Cinema of the Chinese Diaspora: Ang Lee, John Woo, and Jackie Chan in Hollywood
- Descended from Hercules: Biopolitics and the Muscled Male Body on Screen (New Directions in National Cinemas)
- Hollywood 9/11: Superheroes, Supervillains, and Super Disasters
Additional resources for American Film History: Selected Readings, 1960 to the Present
American Film History: Selected Readings, 1960 to the Present by Cynthia Lucia,Roy Grundmann,Art Simon