By George K. Francis
Praise for George Francis's A Topological Picturebook:
Bravo to Springer for reissuing this exact and gorgeous booklet! It not just reminds the older new release of the pleasures of doing arithmetic by way of hand, but additionally exhibits the hot iteration what ``hands on'' particularly means.
- John Stillwell, collage of San Francisco
The Topological Picturebook has taught a complete new release of mathematicians to attract, to determine, and to think.
- Tony Robbin, artist and writer of Shadows of truth: The Fourth measurement in Relativity, Cubism, and smooth Thought
The vintage reference for a way to provide topological information visually, choked with extraordinary hand-drawn pictures of advanced surfaces.
- John Sullivan, Technische Universitat Berlin
A Topological Picturebook we could scholars see topology because the unique discoverers conceived it: concrete and visible, freed from the formalism that burdens traditional textbooks.
- Jeffrey Weeks, writer of The form of Space
A Topological Picturebook is a visible ceremonial dinner for an individual fascinated by mathematical images. Francis presents beautiful examples to construct one's "visualization muscles". while, he explains the underlying ideas and layout concepts for readers to create their very own lucid drawings.
- George W. Hart, Stony Brook University
In this number of narrative gem stones and fascinating hand-drawn photos, George Francis demonstrates the chicken-and-egg dating, in arithmetic, of snapshot and textual content. because the publication used to be first released, the case for images in arithmetic has been received, and now it's time to examine their which means. A Topological Picturebook is still indispensable.
- Marjorie Senechal, Smith collage and co-editor of the Mathematical Intelligencer
Read or Download A Topological Picturebook PDF
Similar geometry & topology books
Algebraic topology (also referred to as homotopy idea) is a flourishing department of contemporary arithmetic. it's very a lot a global topic and this is often mirrored within the history of the 36 prime specialists who've contributed to the instruction manual. Written for the reader who already has a grounding within the topic, the quantity contains 27 expository surveys protecting the main lively parts of study.
This quantity is devoted to the reminiscence of the past due Oded Schramm (1961-2008), distinct mathematician. all through his profession, Schramm made profound and lovely contributions to arithmetic that may have an enduring effect. In those volumes, Editors Itai Benjamini and Olle Häggström have accumulated a few of his papers, supplemented with 3 survey papers through Steffen Rohde, Häggström and Cristophe Garban that additional elucidate his paintings.
We examine GIT quotients of polarized curves. extra particularly, we research the GIT challenge for the Hilbert and Chow schemes of curves of measure d and genus g in a projective area of size d-g, as d decreases with admire to g. We end up that the 1st 3 values of d at which the GIT quotients switch are given by means of d=a(2g-2) the place a=2, three.
Voici l. a. quatrième édition du cours de géométrie publié pour l. a. première fois en 2004. Cette édition a été revue et complétée avec soin. A l. a. demande de nombreux lecteurs, les graphiques ont été tous améliorés un à un. Ce cours permet d’acquérir des bases solides en géométrie pour passer l’agrégation ou le CAPES mathématiques.
- Vanishing and Finiteness Results in Geometric Analysis: A Generalization of the Bochner Technique: 266 (Progress in Mathematics)
- Worlds Out of Nothing: A Course in the History of Geometry in the 19th Century (Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series)
- Complex Algebraic Curves (London Mathematical Society Student Texts)
- Ebene Geometrie (Springer-Lehrbuch) (German Edition)
- General Cohomology Theory and K-Theory (London Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series)
Extra resources for A Topological Picturebook
A Topological Picturebook by George K. Francis