By Esther M. K. Cheung,Gina Marchetti,Esther C. M. Yau
A better half to Hong Kong Cinema presents the 1st finished scholarly exploration of this precise international cinema. by means of embracing the interdisciplinary method of up to date movie and cultural reviews, this assortment navigates theoretical debates whereas charting a brand new path for destiny learn in Hong Kong film.
- Examines Hong Kong cinema inside an interdisciplinary context, drawing connections among media, gender, and Asian studies, Asian local reports, chinese and cultural experiences, worldwide reviews, and significant theory
- Highlights the customarily contentious debates that form present puzzling over movie as a medium and its attainable future
- Investigates how altering examine on gender, the physique, and sexual orientation regulate the ways that we study sexual distinction in Hong Kong cinema
- Charts how advancements in theories of colonialism, postcolonialism, globalization, neoliberalism, Orientalism, and nationalism remodel our realizing of the economics and politics of the Hong Kong movie industry
- Explores how the ideas of diaspora, nostalgia, exile, and trauma supply possibilities to reconsider authorized methods of figuring out Hong Kong’s renowned cinematic genres and stars
Read or Download A Companion to Hong Kong Cinema (CNCZ - Wiley Blackwell Companions to National Cinemas) PDF
Best film & video art books
Not easy our bodies is approximately Ronald Reagan, Robert Bly, "America," Rambo, soiled Harry, nationwide id, and person manhood. through linking blockbuster Hollywood movies of the Eighties to Ronald Reagan and his snapshot, Susan Jeffords explores the hyperlinks among masculinity and U. S. identification and the way their photos replaced in the course of that decade.
Even supposing movie noir is characteristically linked to the suggest streets of the darkish urban, this quantity explores the style from a brand new attitude, concentrating on non-urban settings. via designated readings of greater than a hundred movies set in suburbs, small cities, at the highway, within the wilderness, borderlands and the huge, empty West, the writer investigates the alienation expressed by way of movie noir, pinpointing its motivation within the clash among wants for break out, autonomy and freedom—and fears of loneliness, exile and dissolution.
James Cameron’s seriously acclaimed motion picture Avatar used to be nominated for 9 Academy Awards and bought numerous accolades for its breath-taking visuals and use of 3D expertise. yet past its cinematic splendour, can Avatar additionally supply us insights into company ethics, empathy, incapacity, and the connection among brain and physique?
Moms, Comrades, and Outcasts in East German Women's movie merges feminist movie idea and cultural historical past in an research of "women’s movies" that span the final twenty years of the previous East Germany. Jennifer L. Creech explores the ways that those motion pictures functioned as a substitute public sphere the place reliable ideologies of socialist growth and utopian collectivism might be resisted.
- Housework and Housewives in American Advertising: Married to the Mop
- THE TEXAS RANGERS: TWO DECADES ON RADIO, FILM, TELEVISION, AND STAGE
- Mourning Films: A Critical Study of Loss and Grieving in Cinema
- A Companion to Fritz Lang (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors)
- The Disney Song Encyclopedia
Additional info for A Companion to Hong Kong Cinema (CNCZ - Wiley Blackwell Companions to National Cinemas)
A Companion to Hong Kong Cinema (CNCZ - Wiley Blackwell Companions to National Cinemas) by Esther M. K. Cheung,Gina Marchetti,Esther C. M. Yau